There have been suggestions that scammers could use the NHS test and trace service as a method of obtaining personal or financial information from victims.
This scam is a form of number spoofing. This involves scammers making it look like that they’re calling from a different number to the one they’re actually using. In this case, the number they may try to mimic to hide their real identity is the test and trace number – 0300 0135 000.
Phone companies are working hard to make it difficult for scammers to make these calls, but here’s some information that you might find useful.
Of course, it’s important that if you receive a genuine call from the test and trace service, you should be able to trust it and act on the information you’re being given.
So, here’s some advice on what to expect from a genuine test and trace call.
The only website the service will ask you to visit is https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk.
On a genuine call, contact tracers will never:
- ask you to dial a premium rate number (for example, those starting 09 or 087);
- ask you to make any form of payment;
- ask for any details about your bank account;
- ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts;
- ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone;
- ask you to purchase a product – including a test;
- ask you to download any software to your device or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet; or
- ask you to access any website that does not belong to the Government or NHS.
If you receive a call from somebody claiming to be from the NHS, and they ask you to do any of these things, hang up and report the call:
- to Action Fraud, by calling 0300 123 2040 or by visiting its website, if you are in England, Wales or Northern Ireland; or
- to the Police, via 101, if you are in Scotland.
At LS Consultancy, we offer a number of distinct products and services which can be deployed individually or combined to form a broader solution.
When you face business or regulatory challenges, we provide solutions that are tailor-made to your needs with a view to releasing your energies to focus on your clients.
We work both within individual teams and across many departments to offer a complete solution, with a range of cost effective, compliance and marketing solutions which are uniquely suited to supporting firms. Explore our full range today.