With the launch of the planned review of the Children and Young People’s Advertising Code, the New Zealand Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) thought they would highlight some of the key issues that have been raised with them directly or highlighted through their complaints process.
- Age definitions: In the current code, children are defined as being those under 14 years. Young people are defined as those 14 to under 18 years of age. Some people think that the definition of a child should be raised to those under 16 years of age or changed so that it incorporates everyone under the age of 18.
- Audience threshold: Ads placed in media with robust data to show the audience is less than 25% children and/or young people or tools that are used to select audiences who are over the age of either 14 or 18 are deemed to not be targeting them. Some think this threshold should be lower. In the recent Alcohol Advertising and Promotion Code the audience threshold of 20% of minors was introduced.
- Brand advertising: Some of the rules in the current code only apply to ads for products or services, and do not apply to brand advertising (advertising which only promotes a company name). The Codes Committee are keen to hear submissions on whether brand advertising should be included in the revised code.
- Sponsorship advertising: While the ASA does not have jurisdiction over commercial sponsorship agreements, ads that refer to – or feature – an occasional food or beverage product sponsorship agreement are covered by the current code. Should the revised code extend to other sponsorship ads?
Submissions on the code close on 31 August 2022. Have your say today.
To help in your submission process, you are welcome to either:
- Fill out the full Submission Form here.
- If you don’t have time to fill out the full document, you’re welcome to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your thoughts.
For any questions about the code review, please get in touch.
About the New Zealand ASA
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) is an organisation that investigates breaches of advertising standards in New Zealand. The ASA provides a free complaints process for consumers about the content and placement of advertisements. In assessing complaints, the ASA apply the ASA Advertising Codes.
At LS Consultancy, we provide a cost-effective and timely copy advice and copy development services to make sure all your advertising and campaigns are compliant, clear and suitable for their purpose.
Why Not Download our FREE Brochures! Click here.
Call Us Today on 020 8087 2377 or send us an email.
You can see our Google reviews here.
We’re looking for guest writers with business know-how and experience to create outstanding articles to feature on our website. Sound like you? Then find out more…