This weeks rulings have been published. The following advertisers have been formally investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).
Rulings for: 28 June 2017
- Fischer Future Heat UK Ltd – Upheld in part
The website www.fischerfutureheat.com, for a heating company, seen on 17 January 2017. Under the heading “Electric Storage Heaters” the ad stated “Fischer German electric storage heaters are the perfect replacement for gas central heating or night storage heaters. They’re low input for total efficiency”. The ad also…
- HPAS Ltd t/a Safestyle UK – Upheld
Claims in two TV ads, two paid-for search results on Google and on a website, which were seen between November 2016 and March 2017, for several price promotions by Safestyle UK.
- One TV ad, seen in November 2016, featured a voice-over that stated “There’s still time to get 60% off all windows and doors with fitting in time for Christmas …”. The ad featured on-screen text that stated “60% OFF ALL WINDOWS AND DOORS ORDER BY MONDAY NOV 21ST FOR XMAS FITTING … safestyle.co.uk …”.
- A second TV ad for Safestyle UK, seen in January 2017, featured on-screen text that stated, “60% off”. The voice-over stated, “We’ve got 60% off windows and doors …”.
- The website www.safestyle-windows.co.uk, seen in January 2017, featured text that stated “Get a massive 60% off double glazing this month at Safestyle … JANUARY SALE 60% OFF Windows and Doors”. Below that was small print that stated “Some exclusions apply Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer”.
- A paid-for search result on Google, seen in December 2016, which featured text that stated “60% Off All Double Glazing – Fit in Time for Winter … Huge Savings On all Safestyle Double Glazing …”.
- A paid-for search result on Google, seen in February 2017, which featured text that stated “Safestyle up to 60% Off Sale … Huge Savings On all Safestyle Windows & Doors – Get Up To 60% Off …”.
A website and Facebook post for 1pMobile, a mobile phone service provider, seen on 7 January 2017:
- The website, www.1pmobile.com, stated “Great value and service … UK’s cheapest pre-pay tariff”.
- The Facebook post stated “1pMobile isn’t just the UK’s cheapest pre-pay mobile service – it’s the most flexible too”.
ASA adjudications provide important guidance to advertisers on how the Advertising Codes are to be interpreted. They act as a transparent record of their policy for consumers, media, government, industry and society at large on what is and isn’t acceptable in advertising.
If you are unsure how your activities fit within the rules, please take advantage of our Bespoke Advert Review service. Our fast and confidential service is essential for advertisers, agencies, media owners/providers, who want to check how their prospective advertisements (broadcast and non-broadcast) measure up against the UK Advertising Codes.
Contact us today, and find out how we can help.
Have you an opinion on the above, got an article you wish to share, or interested in our products? We’re love to hear from you. Email us and get in touch today.
Previous rulings: 21 June 2017