Not everyone has their sights set on running an airline or is a cutting edge fashion designer with a list of stars scrabbling to promote your work! It’s OK to have a business that offers a product or service that lots of people use. It may not be sexy to be doing what you’re doing but if there is a lot of demand you can bet your bottom dollar that there will also be plenty of competition. So how do you make your business more interesting than everyone else’s?
Business owners come in lots of shapes and sizes. Some will love being in the limelight and are adept at talking in a room full of people or even in front of a camera (side note: that doesn’t mean that they should!). So what do you do if you’re a little shy and your product or service is never going to set the world on fire?
Well here are just a few ideas of how to capture people’s attention:
- If you’re brave enough you could do something daring like jumping out of an airplane with a parachute emblazoned with your company logo & slogan! Facebook Live it too would be great!!
- Or if that seems too extreme how about sponsoring a local charity that are doing something interesting so that you can talk about it and explain why it means so much to you? People like to know you’re a public spirited company who cares about others.
- Rebrand your logo or marketing so that you stand out visually; strong images and colours help grab attention and pitch you against your competitors. If everyone else is using green try red as a colour to pop out!
- Position yourself as an expert in your field. If something is happening in your industry or market put yourself forward to the media or industry bodies as a spokesperson with an opinion that helps guide buyers positively.
- Use Customer Testimonials and Case Studies to prove how you’ve changed their lives/business. This could include labour savings, increased profits, streamlined processes, health improvements, basically anything positive is definitely worth shouting about.
- Give something away for free! Whether it’s useful downloads off your website, piggy banks if you’re an accountant or financial advisor, trial samples for beauty, loyalty cards for a free products or money off, a freebie if well thought out can build interest and influence a buying decision.
The most important thing is to make sure that your business, product or service is out there being seen and heard and in the right places. Marketing is something you should be doing on an ongoing basis, not just when things go quiet. It takes time to build up brand awareness and keep in front of potential buyers. If you’re not doing it you can guarantee your competitors will be! So be bold, be creative and don’t be afraid to experiment to find out what works for you.
Author: Denise Wilton
At LS Consultancy, we offer a number of distinct products and services which can be deployed individually or combined to form a broader solution.
When you face business or regulatory challenges, we can provide solutions that are tailor-made to your needs with a view to releasing your energies to focus on your clients.
We work both within individual teams and across many departments to offer a complete solution, with a range of cost effective, compliance and marketing solutions including copy advice which are uniquely suited to supporting firms.
Connect with us via social media and drop us a message from there. We’d love to hear from you and discuss how we can help.