Which Hashtags?⬑ Return to Resources page
A hashtag—written with a # symbol—is used to index keywords or topics and allows people to easily follow topics they are interested in.
Using hashtags to categorize posts by keyword
- People use the hashtag symbol (#) before a relevant keyword or phrase in their post to categorize those posts and help them show more easily in a search.
- Clicking or tapping on a hashtagged word in any message shows you other posts that include that hashtag.
- Hashtags can be included anywhere in a post.
- Hashtagged words that become very popular are often trending topics.
Tips for using hashtags
- You cannot add spaces or punctuation in a hashtag, or it will not work properly.
- If you post with a hashtag on a public account, anyone who does a search for that hashtag may find your post.
- We recommend using no more than 3 hashtags per post as best practice, but you may use as many hashtags in a post as you like.
- Type a hashtagged keyword in the search bar to discover content based on your interests.
Please fill out the form below and download the file to view it.