Firms and individuals must be authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to carry out regulated financial service activities and offer credit to consumers.
Regulated financial activities
Regulated activities relate to investments specified by the Treasury or to property, and include:
- dealing with investments (buying, selling etc) or offering or agreeing to do so, and in the case of insurance contracts, carrying out the contract
- arranging investment deals
- accepting deposits
- asset administration and safekeeping
- investment management and advising on investments
- creating, running or winding up collective investment schemes
- computer or web-based investment transactions
- dealing in securities – eg stocks and shares (or certificates representing them), or options and futures
- dealing with debentures, bonds, loan stock etc, including government bonds
- collective investment scheme units
- dealing with insurance contracts
- Lloyd’s syndicates
- loans secured on land and other arrangements involving land
Read a full list of regulated activities and exemptions.
Consumer credit activities include:
- selling on credit
- hiring or leasing out goods for more than 3 months
- lending money
- issuing credit cards or trading checks
- arranging credit for others
- offering hire purchase terms
- collecting debts
- helping people with debt problems or advising on credit standing
How to apply
You’ll need to apply to FCA and meet the conditions for your type of business.
Read more about preparing for authorisation if you’re applying to offer consumer credit.
The authorisation fee you pay depends on how complex your application is to process.
Fines and penalties – You can be imprisoned and fined if you carry out regulated activities without being authorised.
LS Consultancy are compliance specialists capable of handling you application from start to finish.
If you need any assistance, in strictest confidence, call us:
020 8087 2377
or email us.
Our range of innovative solutions can be tailored to suit your unique requirements, no matter whether you’re currently working from home, or are continuing to go into the office. Our services can be deployed individually or combined to form a broader solution to release your energies and focus on your clients.
Need A Regulatory Marketing Compliance Consultant? A Bit More About Us
Why Not Download our FREE Brochures! Click here.
Call Us Today on 020 8087 2377 or send us an email.
Connect with us via social media and drop us a message from there. We’d love to hear from you and discuss how we can help.