Hot on the heels of the Christmas festivities, comes the New Year and renewed commitments to a moderate lifestyle. Here’s some advice to help you make sure that your advertising of diets and weight loss plans doesn’t create a regulatory dog’s dinner.
The main theme of this advice is to make sure your advertising complies with good medical practice, to ensure you hold evidence for any claims and to take care that you don’t appeal to vulnerable people.
Here are some top tips:
- Hold evidence that your diet uses calorie control
- Make sure that your diet does not appeal particularly to under-18s or those for whom the diet could produce a potentially harmful body weight (a BMI of less than 18.5).
- Take care when advertising diets to obese people.
- Hold evidence to show that diet plans are nutritionally well-balanced for the target audience.
- Include the timeframe in a testimonial in which a dieter talks about weight loss if they’re stating exactly how much weight they have lost.
- Make sure any rate of weight loss quoted is compatible with good medical and nutritional practice
- Do not
- Make unproven claims for “fad” diets which do not follow the UK Government’s nutritional guidelines.
- Suggest that a diet allows people to eat as much as they like and still lose weight
- Suggest that weight loss will be permanent.
- Make general claims that people can lose precise amounts of weight within a stated period
- Claim that weight or fat can be lost from specific parts of the body
- State or imply that being underweight is desirable or acceptable.
- Use any unrealistic or exaggerated before and after pictures or testimonials.
- Do not make claims on the efficacy of detox wraps, patches, devices or supplements
At LS Consultancy, we offer a number of distinct products and services which can be deployed individually or combined to form a broader solution.
When you face business or regulatory challenges, we can provide solutions that are tailor-made to your needs with a view to releasing your energies to focus on your clients.
We work both within individual teams and across many departments to offer a complete solution, with a range of cost effective, compliance and marketing solutions including copy advice which are uniquely suited to supporting firms.
Connect with us via social media and drop us a message from there. We’d love to hear from you and discuss how we can help.