This advice entry has been withdrawn by the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) following the publication of multiple resources offering more up-to-date advice.
The “Influencers’ guide to making clear that ads are ads” provides a comprehensive overview of the relevant guidance.
Following discussions with influencers and agencies, CAP put together this new influencer guidance in order to bring together all the advisory information influencers will need to ensure they’re sticking to the ad rules.
This Influencer’s Guide sets out:
- What the relevant rules are
- What the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) considers to be an ad
- How to make clear ads are ads
- What the Competition and Markets Authority’s requirements are
- What happens if someone makes a complaint to the ASA about a social post
Note: This advice is given by the CAP Executive about non-broadcast advertising. It does not constitute legal advice. It does not bind CAP, CAP advisory panels or the ASA.
CAP’s AdviceOnline entries provide guidance on interpreting the UK Code of Non-broadcast Advertising and Direct & Promotional Marketing.
How can we help!