- Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) is alerting investors about the existence of several fake Treasury Bond offers. These are scams.
- Financial institutions are not authorised to issue Treasury Bonds on behalf of the Australian Government or on-sell them outside of the ASX to the public.
- Legitimate Treasury Bonds can only be bought on the ASX through licensed ASX brokers.
What to look out for
- Offers made via links in emails. If you receive an email do not reply or click on links. Unlike other versions of this type of scams, these emails sometimes contain typos.
- Fake Treasury Bond offers claiming to be issued by financial institutions on behalf of the Australian Government via the AOFM.
- Fake TB133 and TB136 Australian Government Bonds mirroring the characteristics of the legitimate exchange traded bond units (known as XTB) listed on the ASX.
- Fake offers using copies of the legitimate AOFM products listed on the ASX.
All legitimate exchange traded bonds are purchased through licensed ASX brokers.
For more information about investment scams and what to look out for, visit the Investment Scams page on ASIC’s MoneySmart website.
Think you have been scammed?
- Do not send any more money
- Report it to your financial institution
- Be wary of follow-up scams promising to help get your money back
- Report it to your local police
- Report it to ASIC (unfortunately ASIC cannot help you get your money back)
If you need someone to talk to, contact:
- Lifeline on 13 11 14 (24 hours) or their crisis support online chat (7pm – 12am) or
- Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36 (24 hours) or their web chat (1pm – 12am)
If you are experiencing problems with debt, contact:
- the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm) or chat online
- Qantas Airways Limited’s fake bond scam warning
- ASIC warning about imposter bonds
- ASIC’s MoneySmart website – investment scams
- Telstra Corporation Limited’s fake bond scam warning
Source: © Australian Securities & Investments Commission. Reproduced with permission.
ASIC is Australia’s corporate, markets and financial services regulator.
LS Consultancy are experts in Marketing and Compliance. We provide to firms a cost-effective and timely bespoke copy advice and copy development services to make sure all your advertising and campaigns are compliant, clear and suitable for their purpose.
Our range of innovative solutions can be tailored to suit your unique requirements, no matter whether you’re currently working from home, or are continuing to go into the office. Our services can be deployed individually or combined to form a broader solution to release your energies and focus on your clients.
Call Us Today on 020 8087 2377 or send us an email.
We’re looking for guest writers with business know-how and experience to create outstanding articles to feature on our website. Sound like you? Then find out more…